「睡眠」Is sleep time short in Japanese?

 Hi! How are you guys?

Today I will write about Japanese "sleeping time".

Japanese are busy! Overworked! I don't have time to sleep! I often see articles and posts like that, but is it really true?


Japanese sleep time

When I looked it up, I found the data for 2020.

According to the data, the average sleep time of Japanese people is 

7 hours and 22 minutes.

This seems to be the worst of the countries surveyed (33 OECD countries).

7 hours 22 minutes.

When I knew this. I felt, "It's longer than I expected."

My sleep time is about 6 hours or more and less than 7 hours.

When I'm busy with work, I may only have about 5 hours of sleep.

Even if you look at your colleagues and friends. My parents also feel far from average.

I don't think so many people have more than 7 hours of sleep.



In addition, according to the results of other surveys, there is data that the average sleep time of Japanese people is 6 hours and 27 minutes.

According to the results of this survey, about 40% of the respondents answered that it was less than 6 hours.

I suspect this data is closer to the truth.


Since Japan is the worst number one, I will write my personal thoughts from here, not the official view.

The cause of the short sleep time of Japanese people is

・There is a lot of overtime.

・Commuting time is long.

・The salary is low.

I think these three.



Japan really has a lot of overtime.

In my case, the monthly average is about 20 hours except during the busy season.

Since I work about 20 days a month, I work overtime for more than 1 hour a day.

Approximately 50 hours during the busy season. Overtime work of about 2.5 hours a day.

I think the annual overtime hours will be about 400 hours.

As for acquaintances, some people work overtime for more than 100 hours a month.

It's likely that your work is depriving you of your sleep time.


Next, "long commuting time" and "low salary", I think these two are deeply linked.

Salaries in Japan are not high. Therefore, Japanese people tend to want to live in a house with low rent.

It also emphasizes good access to shopping and transportation when choosing a home. Of course, everyone wants to live in a house close to their workplace.

However, the place where Japanese companies are located is an office district with high land prices. Or, in most cases, it is in a place where the land price is cheap, which is inconvenient for living.

In other words, Japanese workers do not rent a house near their workplace, but live in a "cheap house without any inconvenience in their lives even if they are away from their workplace. In that case, commuting time will inevitably increase and sleep time will decrease.

Sleep less and work more efficiently. ⇒ Overtime increases.



In this kind of life, I don't have time with my family, and I don't have much time for my hobbies. I think Japan should be more aware of the importance of "resting".


How long do you sleep? Are you resting enough?

Please let me know if you like. In addition, I would like questions and comments.

Please write it!

If you find this article interesting, please share it on Twitter with people all over the world!

See you next time!


You can download my photos for free.

Here is the URL.

Photo AC 稲荷丸

https://www.photo-ac.com/profile/24226947


Click here for other articles.

Blog top ⇒https://japanesedoodleblog.blogspot.com/

Comments